Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Sleep

Gawd, I know. I think it's the days getting shorter. You know, in the summertime, I used to get up at 5:30 a.m. and go to the gym? These days, it's all I can do to haul my butt out of bed at a pitch-dark 6:45 to get to work on time.

Because it's sleeping weather again, and I love sleep. I'll go to bed early just to sleep recreationally sometimes, I love it so much. All summer long it's been too hot to sleep, even with our shuddering old air conditioners: I stick to the sheets and I have to have a fan blowing on me, which always makes me feel like someone's poking me gently (pokepokepokepokepokepokepokepoke all night long).

Back when I worked the second shift, I could sleep as late as I wanted. My God, that was awesome. I didn't set an alarm for four years. I used to wake up at around ten, and then just lie there for forty-five minutes or so, dipping in and out of sleep. I called it "surfing the doze." I can't do that anymore. Even on weekends, Jamie needs his shot or I have to go to the bathroom or I might as well get some work done before Mike gets up. I miss it a lot.

I used to dream a lot about flying during the doze periods. When I fly in dreams, I start out by running, and the strides get longer and longer until I'm jumping about twenty feet at a time, and then I kick my legs out behind in the Superman pose and I'm off. It seems to take just enough effort that I feel like I've developed a new skill, like riding a bike. "Everyone will be so surprised when I show them," I always think. "Pretty soon we'll all be getting around like this."

The last time I had the flying dream was about six weeks ago. I ran, I jumped, I kicked and I flew, just like always, but when I got to the part about everyone being surprised, I thought "Gosh, every time this happens it turns out to be a dream." And I woke up.

Word Count: 29,580 (+574)

1 Comments:

Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Oh my god, I have that dream, too! And I always tell myself "This time, I'll remember how to do this when I wake up." No such luck.

And I get the sleep thing. It will be good when the clocks finally change this weekend; maybe I'll be able to get my sorry ass up before 8. Doesn't matter how early I go to bed, I STILL can't get my ass up before 8.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home