Wednesday, January 11, 2006

...I Got Nothing.

In a good way, though. I know I'm supposed to be knicker-twisting about fiction writing and how awful it is and what a failure it makes me feel, and how I'm going to start speaking cynically and wearing black all the time and drinking a lot, but I've actually hit a pretty smooth stretch in the road. I'm writing just about every day; I'm pretty satisfied with the output; I've been able to keep my mind off how much better it would be if someone else were doing it. Having an outline keeps me from second-guessing every single thing right down to the spine of the story the way I used to (let that be engraved on my tombstone, Outlines Are The Greatest Gifts).

Most importantly, some synergy between my new workspace and my changing inclination in the matter of leisure activities is making it much easier for me to do work instead of reading mystery novels and snacking. Even when I rev up the easy chair and hunker down with a giant-sized bag of Cheetos and Gaudy Night, I get bored after about forty-five minutes and stuffed after twenty (I have yet to see dividends on my waistline, but we've barely passed the holidays, give me a break). I wish to heck I could figure out why, but I don't want to hex it.

Anyway, it's all good. For now. We'll see.

Word Count: 6,393 (+2,024)

2 Comments:

Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Good for you! Isn't that funny how much difference a work space can make? I'm cheering on your word count!

Another thing I like about knitting -- it keeps me from snacking while I watch TV. We're working our way through Season 1 of Veronica Mars right now, and without knitting the Cheetos would be flyin'.

Happy New Year!

7:52 PM  
Blogger kathy monahan said...

I so totally have to start knitting again. I bought two cones of organic yarn when my friend Erica was about four months pregnant so I could make an afghan for her baby. The baby just turned one and I've finished about three squares.

Of course, that was before I knew you could make knitted graffiti.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home